WELCOME TO TESL POWER HSBM. I BELIEVE THAT LEARNING IS A NEVER ENDING PROCESS. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DROP YOUR COMMENTS FOR THE IMPROVEMENT OF THIS BLOG. THANK YOU.

MS MARIA LIZA LATIFF

Saturday, August 29, 2026

Freedom

In my 20s, 30s and 40s, all I wanted was the freedom to travel, make my own decisions, and live without constantly being held back by my mother's protectiveness. I often felt frustrated whenever I was told what I should or shouldn't do. Sometimes, I felt she still saw me as a little girl instead of a grown woman.

Over the past few years, she had gradually become less protective, but by then I no longer wanted to leave her. I felt responsible for her happiness and well-being. It wasn't always easy. There was a constant inner conflict between what I wanted for myself and what I willingly gave up for her sake.

Now she's gone, and I have all the freedom I once longed for. I can go wherever I want and do whatever I want. Yet somehow, that freedom doesn't bring me any happiness. It's such a strange feeling... one I can't even describe properly. Emptiness. Hollowness. Numbness. A void. It's almost as if the freedom I spent years longing for only had meaning when she was still here.

What I find even stranger is that I wasn't actually very close to my mum in the way many daughters are. I rarely shared what was happening in my life, and I hardly ever opened up to her about my feelings. I've always found it difficult to express my emotions, and I think I inherited that from her because she struggled to express hers too. We loved each other, but neither of us really knew how to say it or show it openly.

I know things have changed. She's gone, and I can't change that. I suppose this is something I'm still learning to live with. Maybe this is what grief really is....not just missing someone, but trying to find your place again in a world that suddenly gives you the thing you once wished for, except the one person you wish were still in it.


MLPML

No comments: